Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Purge: Anarchy (2014)


The Purge: Anarchy promises to deliver on what many were expecting to see in the original film.   I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out as the trailers have me intrigued and it looks like a fun ride.  Plus, Frank Grillo looks like he's going to own this movie, maybe a new franchise for him?   Like I did with Neighbors, I was set on finding locations based solely on the trailers.  Since I don't know exact plot details, even though the previews are pretty spoilery, I'll caption what I can until I see the movie.

UPDATE September 2014: Check near the end of the blog for new comparison pics!

First up is the ever-popular 6th Street bridge...
(my attempt to replicate the screenshot somewhat below)

Screenshot...


The young couple find themselves at this intersection in the jewelry district....



Screenshot...





These poor kids don't stand a chance.   It looks like they are being chased down this street....



Screenshots...




I'm assuming this is the tunnel the bus travels through....

Screenshot....


This would appear to be Frank Grillo's pad...



Screenshot...

Comparison shot:



Frank driving by the Chinatown station...



Screenshot...


Frank drives by this corner....

Screenshot...


And Frank drives on this street as a flaming bus rolls by behind him....


Screenshots...



The car headlights turn off at the end of this street, and I can assume it's Frank with all his driving around!

Screenshot... 


Frank gets out of his parked car here....



Screenshots....



Frank sees these women taken from this apartment....


Screenshots...


Frank rounds the corner here....

Screenshot...


Frank's point-of-view of the street....




Screenshots...




Same intersection in reverse in this next shot....

Screenshot...




Frank appears to get caught in a trap here and gets dragged away...


Screenshot...


Now all these locations have been downtown so far, but I had trouble finding the next building, even though it looked very familiar.  Eventually I figured out it wasn't a real building at all, but one of the facades on the backlot at Universal Studios....


Screenshots....


A long shot of the same facade...

Promo shot from the film....


While going through old pictures, I happened to come across this one I took in one of the art shop areas of Universal back in 2009 when they were preparing to build the new "urban area" on the backlot....


Speaking of Universal, lots of promos all over the place when I was there last week.....




The newest trailer came out right when I got back, so I wasn't able to personally visit this next house, but here is a Google street view of it...

Screenshot....


UPDATE July 2014:  More clips and behind the scenes shots have been released, so I did some comparison shots below....











UPDATE September 2014:  Visited a few more locations on the latest trip.  First up is more of the corner where they are shot at through an open window and one of the characters falls into a trap...







Screenshots....



Comparison shot:


Next is the house from the finale of the film....






Screenshots....






Comparison shots.....





The hospital from the last scene...







Screenshots.....






And finally, the grocery store parking lot gets very little screentime, but I loved the image used in the promotions from this location...



Screenshot....

Comparison shot....




5 comments:

  1. I like the site and the locations, however it's hard to find spots you've been to unless you write the physical address instead of just have a pic. Perhaps in the future you can add the addresses of the sites you've photographed? Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you add physical addresses in the future? Other than that, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. As I transition over to my new website at www.Set-Jetter.com, I am adding addresses for each location for reference. If you have any requests in the meantime, please let me know!

      Delete
  3. Hello robert can you give me the exact address of the house at the end of the movie or he gets shot in front of the steps ... and also the exact address of the grocery car park or the couple are stop at the beginning of the film .. (The bad guys are next to a truck with their masks ... Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house at the end is at 4300 Forman Ave in Toluca Lake (just a few blocks from the Thelma & Louse apartment!). The grocery store is at
    209 W Arbor Vitae Street in Inglewood.

    ReplyDelete